Saturday, June 19, 2010

Cilantro Thai Chicken


Servings: 1

When I found out I can have up to 1 cup of cilantro for condiment, I was excited.  I love cilantro.  I love the smell and the flavor.

If you are cooking for the entire family, please adjust the ingredients.  What I will list below is good for 1 person.  Just multiply each ingredient by however many people will eat.

This recipe uses approx 2-1/2 condiment servings and still meets the < 3 recommended by medifast.


Ingredients:

1 tsp minced garlic Condiment #1
3/4 tbsp cilantro (stems included are fine) Condiment #2 -- 1/16 allowed by medifast

1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper Condiment #2 - 1/2 allowed by medifast
1 tsp tamari sauce* (or soy sauce)  Condiment #3
1/8 tbsp fish sauce Condiment #2 - 1/8 allowed by Medifast
pinch of salt (optional) **
1 tbsp water
3/4 lb chicken (drumsticks or wings)***

*  I use Tamari Sauce because it tastes just like soy sauce but wheat-free but soy sauce works even better.
** This would taste better with salt if using a low-sodium tamari/soy sauce, but I choose to skip it.  Salt is just not good when you're on a diet :-)
*** Up to 5oz of dark meat (cooked weight) is allowed.  When weighing, do not include the bones.

Instructions:

Chop cilantro and garlic very finely.  In a medium bowl or a tupperware, add the cilantro and garlic, ground pepper, tamari sauce, fish sauce and water.  If you are making for more than one person, I recommend just throwing all the ingredients, except the chicken in a food processsor or blender and grind to a fine, fairly smooth paste adding more water as necessary to grind evenly.

Add the chicken pieces, turning to coat everything well.  Cover and allow to marinate for at least an hour or even overnight

Preheat oven to 450F.  I use a toaster oven occassionally depending on how many I'm cooking.  If you are using a toaster oven, preheat oven at 425F or set to Broil.  After heated for about 3 minutes, place the chicken  in the oven turning occasionally to brown and cook pieces evenly until cooked through.

Cooking for the Entire Family:
Serve this with rice and cucumbers for members of the family not on Medifast and if available, use a sweet chili sauce that can usually be purchased pre-made at grocery stores.

1 comment:

  1. This was so good... I did chiken breast. So yummy! Thank you for your wonderful recipes!!

    ReplyDelete